Ph.D. in Egyptology
Charles University Faculty of Arts
Full time, Part time
EUR 2,500 / per year
Earliest start date
The language of instruction is English.
For all information about the study programme and admission procedure conditions see THIS PAGE.
Applications can only be submitted electronically using the form provided HERE.
What is the admission process for this programme?
- Contact a dissertation consultant (you can find a list of consultants according to your chosen study programme HERE) and send him/her your dissertation proposal for review.
- Submit your application for study via THE ONLINE FORM
- Applications can only be submitted until 30 April!
- In late May/early June, you will receive an Invitation to the entrance examination via the same system in which you applied.
- At a specified time in June, you will take an entrance exam. The entrance exam is oral. The maximum number of points you can score on the exam is 60. If you have a total of 30 points or more, you have a chance to be admitted - but you need to be within the expected admission number for the programme.
- In July, the admission procedure is evaluated, and the information about its result is sent to all applicants.
- Candidates who are successful in the admission procedure are subject to NOSTRIFICATION. This means that they must provide evidence of their previous Master's degree according to the conditions listed HERE.
- Those who have properly documented their previous education and language skills may attend the enrolment in the study, which takes place in September.
Scholarships and Funding
Full-time doctoral students will receive a scholarship, which is usually supplemented by other sources of income, e.g. awards for participation in grant projects or remuneration for teaching undergraduates.
For information on governmental scholarships, please visit the website of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (https://www.msmt.cz/eu-and-international-affairs/scholarships). Further, you may consult the following website: https://www.studyin.cz/plan-your-studies/scholarships.
Program Tuition Fee
The Ph.D. graduate has in-depth theoretical knowledge in all principal fields of Egyptology and a detailed overview and an up-to-date understanding of the current state of research and associated problems. On the basis of the upheld Ph.D. dissertation, he/she is able to demonstrate exceptional quality in his/her specific specialization. The scholarly, language, and analytical proficiency and skills of the graduate make him/her fully equipped for a professional scholarly and pedagogic pursuit on an international level. The Ph.D. graduate may be employed in many top-rated institutions centered on the study of antiquity, as well as on the level of effective top executives in institutions partaking in cultural, political, economic, or trade relations between the Czech Republic and Egypt.