The doctoral study programme in Material Engineering is focused on independent scientific and research projects in the field of materials. Its aim is to produce highly-educated and creative graduates capable of taking part in scientific, research and professional applications and developments of materials for mechanical engineering.
The Ph.D. candidates further extend and refine their knowledge of mathematics, physics and applied sciences in the theoretical foundation of the study discipline to be able to succeed in solutions of tasks in the fields of research into new materials, their properties and potential optimal uses for both metallic and non-metallic applications.
The graduates are able to independently apply the mastered skills and the high level of theoretical knowledge provided in lectures and acquired through modern learning methods for solving specific problems in the selected areas of material engineering:
- a) new materials: new metallic materials and inter-metallic compounds, ceramic materials, composite materials with the polymeric matrix, surface finishes of materials and testing of properties of materials;
- b) mechanics, rheology and thermodynamics of polymers: study of mechanical properties of polymers in the solid phase, the study of rheological behaviour of polymer melts and mixtures with the goal of achieving the required molecular structure and the required physical and chemical properties in the solid phase, study of thermal and other characteristics of polymers;
- c) structure and properties of polymers: study of correlations between the molecular structure and the properties of polymers in the solid phase taking into account the processing of materials and their functional properties in the widest spectrum of applications (structural polymer materials, polymer composites), resistance to corrosive environment according to the chemical nature of the polymer material and its molecular structure (orientation, stress), optical properties, etc.
Furthermore, the graduates are familiar with the research methods in the field of production systems and processes and capable of critical analysis, evaluation, and synthesis, thus able to discuss the results of their investigations and to extend the sum of the current knowledge in a professional way worth of publishing and sharing with other members of the professional community both in their country and abroad.
After the completion of the study program, the graduates will succeed in positions of research team members in both theoretical and applied research areas or as experts in the teams of industrial development centers and major research institutions focusing on a particular area. Due to their profound knowledge and professional approaches, they will also succeed in a broader context as lecturers of the tertiary education institutions.
Å koda Auto PhD Programme
PhD candidates at the TUL are eligible to apply for participation in the Å koda Auto PhD programme or they can write their thesis on a topic offered by the company.
- FACULTY: Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION: English
- Recognized tertiary education (Master degree) as prescribed by Act No. 49/2009, Coll. (not necessary for applicants from Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Germany, and Slovenia).
- Entrance examination/interview
- DURATION: 4 years
- FEE / ACADEMIC YEAR: USD 2000
- APPLICATION FEE: CZK 2000 / USD 100
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 31, August 31
About the School
Top-level results in research and science, excellence in teaching and interdisciplinary collaboration have stood for the Technical University of Liberec since 1953. Around 7000 students study at seven ... Read More