The Faculty offers two research-based degrees, namely Master of Philosophy (MPhil), & Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Our PhD students are supervised by a Department-based scholar and choose additional supervisors from the same or other Departments, or other universities.
Our Global Distinctiveness
- Emphasis on trans-disciplinary problem-solving.
- Global diversity. Our current and recent graduates come from Hong Kong, China, and a further 14 countries across Asia, Europe, Africa and North America.
- Financial and professional support for conference participation and overseas placements.
- Caring and cohesive graduate community. Our students have an effective voice in Faculty governance, and network with/ learn from peers from across our social sciences disciplines, all housed in one building.
- Opportunities to take courses and attend lecture across Hong Kong's universities and to access data and field across China and South East Asia.
- A flexible range of funding models including government scholarships, Faculty scholarships, and Department scholarship
Applicants seeking admission to the MPhil programme have a good bachelor's degree with honours from a recognized university or an equivalent qualification. For the PhD programme, applicants have either a master's degree or a strong bachelor's degree from a recognised university/institution.
For the conferment of MPhil/PhD degree, students are required to take coursework, complete an approved programme of supervised research, present the findings of their research in a thesis or dissertation, and pass the oral examination of the written thesis. Students admitted in or before AY 2018/19 are expected to complete the programme in 36/72 months of PhD (full-time/part-time) or 24/48 months of MPhil (Full-time/Part-time). Starting from AY 2019/2020, PhD students are expected to complete the programme in the 4-year period (full-time).
One Faculty Seven Departments
Our academic expertise lies with academic staff in our seven departments. They conduct a wide range of research study covering different specialisations.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Department of Education Studies)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Department of Geography)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Department of Government and International Studies)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Department of History)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Department of Sport & Physical Education)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Department of Social Work)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Department of Sociology)
Reasons for Choosing Hong Kong as a Study Destination
1.Be part of the “Chinese Adventure” with a Western heritage
2.Learning Chinese language and culture
3.Exciting and vibrant city with lots to do
4.Many multinational corporations based in Hong Kong
5.Window to China
6.Gateway to Southeast Asia
For September 2020 Intake: 1 December 2019
About the School
The Faculty of Social Sciences, Hong Kong Baptist University comprises seven departments: Education Studies, Geography, Government & International Studies, History, Sport & Physical Education, ... Read More